Who are Dinghy and NSM?

Dinghy is the world’s first insurance provider exclusively for freelancers. Founded in 2017 in the United Kingdom, Dinghy is now part of NSM Insurance Group, a global leader in specialty insurance programs. With NSM, we are expanding our proven model and revamping insurance for freelance writers across the US.

Where are you licenced?

We are licensed in all 50 states, including the District of Columbia. You can see the list of our licenses on our licenses page. However, we are only able to offer writer insurance in 46 states, which excludes Alaska, Hawaii, Vermont and Wyoming.

What is Professional Liability Insurance?

Professional Liability is insurance designed for professionals whose mistakes could cause their clients a financial loss. We offer writer insurance which covers media liability, providing cover for alleged or actual Libel & Slander, Defamation, Copyright Infringement and Errors & Omissions claims should a client or third party sue you for damages.

Do I need Professional Liability Insurance?

As a freelancer, the risk to your finances should a legal dispute arise can be crushing, even if you haven’t done anything wrong. Legal costs can escalate quickly, let alone any compensation you may have to pay. For less than one dollar a day, you can buy $100,000 of coverage, providing peace of mind and allowing you to focus on what you love to do.

How much does writer insurance cost?

The cost of writer insurance depends on your business activities. Some occupations are exposed to more risk, and potential claims, than others. Also your premium changes based on some of the methods you use to run your business. We offer writer insurance starting from $23 per month for $100,000 of professional liability insurance.

Is it a legal requirement to have Professional Liability insurance?

No. Some clients require that freelancers have professional liability insurance, but it is not required by law. That doesn’t make it any less essential, especially for professionals working independently.

How much insurance should I buy?

It depends on the work you are doing and the size of potential claims. For instance, a political writer contributing to national publications will need a much higher limit than a historian who writes books about the Civil War. As a rule of thumb, imagine the worst financial loss you could create for your clients, then double it to include legal fees and round it up to the next available limit.

What is the difference between an “Each Claim” Limit and an “Aggregate” Limit?

Your “each claim” limit is the maximum amount your policy will pay for any claim made and reported during the policy period. The “aggregate” limit is the total amount for all claims that your policy will pay.

For instance, imagine you buy a policy with a $100,000 each claim limit and a $250,000 aggregate limit, shown as $100,000 / $250,000. You could have a claim that costs $100,000 in legal fees and compensation. You then still have $150,000 of your aggregate limit remaining for any additional claims during the policy period.

However, if you had a first claim of $150,000, the insurance would only pay $100,000, as that is the maximum amount for any one claim. You would need to cover the remaining $50,000 of the claim. Your policy would still have $150,000 of your aggregate limit left to cover any new claims made against you.

What is a Self Insured Retention?

Self-insured retention is the amount of the claim that you must pay before insurance pays. You can choose to have a $0 retention, which means the insurer will pay all of your claims from the ground up, up to your policy limits. Typically the more you increase your retention, the lower your premium becomes.

Which occupations do you insure?

We ensure 30 different writer occupations, including authors, biographers, bloggers, columnists, copywriters, creative writers, critics, digital writers, editors, essayists, ghostwriters, historians, interpreters, journalists, literary editors, lyricists, novelists – fiction, novelists – nonfiction, playwrights, poets, researchers, satirists, screenwriters, speechwriters, script editors, sub-editors, technical writers, translators, website content writers and writers. For the full description of each please see our writer occupations insured page.

I can’t find my occupation – what do I do?

As we make our debut in the US, we are focusing our initial launch on writer insurance only. If you are a writer and your occupation isn’t listed, please get in touch with us via chat or email.

If you are interested buying insurance from us but not a writer, sit tight! We are building out an exciting product for all freelancers based on our success in the UK, which we are launching in 2021.

Do I need to pay monthly or annually?

Freelancers know better than anyone that flexibility is the name of the game. With us, you can decide if you want to pay annually or monthly, with no extra charge.

Does my insurance auto-renew?

Yes, all insurance policies we sell auto-renew every 12 months. You will receive an email notifying you of your renewal 30 to 60 days before your policy renews. We don’t believe you will find a better policy, but we are happy to give you a heads up so you can find out for yourself.

Can I cancel my policy before it expires?

Yes you can; and there are no cancellation fees. Zip. Zilch. Nada. If you are not happy for any reason, just sign in to your account and cancel.

What is Data Incident Response Expenses insurance?

This is free coverage that is included with all writer insurance policies we sell. If you are hacked or lose sensitive client data, your policy will cover the expenses for investigating the source of the hack and informing your clients about the data leak.

This cover is a $25,000 sub-limit of your Professional Liability policy, meaning if you make a claim under this section of your policy, you will reduce the aggregate amount of insurance remaining for any Professional Liability claims.

What is Non-Party Investigation Expenses insurance?

This is additional free coverage included with all writer insurance policies we sell. If one of your clients becomes subject to a legal or regulatory investigation and you are asked to provide data, we will cover your costs for searching your computers, hard drives, etc. for any client records, up to $10,000.

How do I make a claim?

With your insurance you receive access to your own self-service area. In this online area you can report a claim anytime 24/7 by answering a few simple questions. Your claim notification is then sent straight to the experienced liability claims team who will contact you on your preferred phone number. No hold music, no having to wait for office hours to file a claim. Easy access, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Do you have another question? Give us a shout in the chat box in the lower right corner of this page or drop us a line any time at hello@dinghy.us.